Wednesday 8 July 2015

Fashion Personalities: Yetunde Sarumi

Hello Classy Africans,

Its about time we get to know another, African Fashion personalities.
Today we have the privilege of having on the blog one of our fashion crushes, Yetunde Sarumi.
We had an interview with her and excerpts from the interview can be seen below.

Enjoy the read.




Classy Africans: Hello Yetunde, we are pleased to have you on the blog, please give us a brief introduction of yourself.

Yetunde Sarumi: My pleasure being here. My full name is Yetunde Sarumi and I was born in Nigeria, a country I consider the best country in the world. I studied Business and Organization Communication in under grad school and Human resource management in grad school.



Classy Africans: How then did you get into Fashion?

Yetunde Sarumi: I got into sewing because I wanted to be able to design and sew my own clothes and I have been sewing for 3 years now.


Classy Africans: Sewing tends to be manually tasking, I say so as someone who sews myself, do you enjoy sewing?

Yetunde Sarumi: I absolutely love sewing. It gives me peace of mind. It is my happy place.



Classy Africans: I see you also co-founded prettygirlssew and you seemed to have had a competition recently, can you tell us a little about it and the competition?

Yetunde Sarumi: Pretty Girls Sew is an organization that provides a platform where all sewers, whether a beginner or expert, can come together to learn, inspire each other, and show off their skills. We resently hosted a Sewing Competition call “Rippin’ Ain’t Easy Sewing Competition” where 9 sewist competed every other week to get the grand prize. It was fun and very challenging. Each and every one of those ladies amazed me with what they created.


Classy Africans: Who is your biggest motivation?

Yetunde Sarumi: My fiancé. He motivates me daily and pushes me to be the best I
can be in everything I do. He’s one of my biggest supporter.


Classy Africans: That is beautiful. Who is/are your biggest inspiration(s)?

Yetunde Sarumi: My Parents. I got my drive and entrepreneur spirit from them. They
are both hard workers and through their actions, they have showed me that anything is possible as
long as I put my heart in it and that I should never limit myself or let anyone determine how far I can
go in life.



Classy Africans: Beautiful. It is always amazing when Parents can invoke or bring out the best in their kids. So then who is/are your biggest encourager(s) and fan(s)?

Yetunde Sarumi: My siblings. I am so blessed to have siblings like them. Every time I tell them an idea that I have, they go a step further by encouraging me to bring that idea to life. For example, I told my sister that I’d like to learn how to sew, without hesitation, she bought me a sewing machine and a dress form. I told my brother that I’d like to open an online store, he provided all the resources I needed to make it happen. I am truly blessed


Classy Africans: You are blessed indeed and that is amazing, I hope people who read this story are inspired and reminded of how important it is for them to encourage their family and friends. What inspires you to create? Existing fashion? Trends? Nature? Or just ideas in your head?

Yetunde Sarumi: Hmm, I get inspiration from everywhere.. I’m not so much into trends or what hot at the moment. I’m a free spirit, so I usually create whatever feels right to me at the moment. Sometimes, the fabric Itself inspires me and I create based on the fabric patterns.



Classy Africans: What's the best thing a follower/fan of yours has told you to encourage you?

Yetunde Sarumi: I think the best thing I hear a lot from my followers that encourages me is hearing them say that because of me, they are now looking for a sewing class or are interested in sewing. To me, that makes me feel good. I believe everyone should learn how to sew, even if it’s just the basic sewing skill. That’s something they’ll never regret.


Classy Africans: Do you do some of your sewings yourself or do you basically design?

Yetunde Sarumi: For my blog, I do all of my sewing myself. But for my online store, www.yetundesarumi.com, I design and sew all of my samples for production.


Classy Africans: Any project for the year we should watch out for?

Yetunde Sarumi: Well, I’m getting married in a couple of months and even though I’m not sewing my wedding dress, there are a couple of garments I’ll be making for the occasion.



Classy Africans: Exciting. Any words of Advise to upcoming seamstress and designers?

Yetunde Sarumi: The only advise I have is to put your heart into whatever you create, it will show in the final product. Don’t be too focused on what others are doing, focus on yourself and perfecting your craft and avoid distractions.



I like that @ focusing on oneself and not what others are doing.
Thank you Yetunde for doing this interview. It has been a Joy doing this with you.

Check her out on IG @sewurbane

I hope you, readers, have enjoyed the read and learnt a thing or two from Yetunde.
Remember to share the story with friends and family and be inspired to pursue your dreams.


Classy Africans


3 comments: